Monday, April 25, 2011

Why Get a Portrait?


Why get a portrait? First of all, they are wonderful precious family heirlooms.

Kathryn Ireland

And secondly, they are great to decorate with!

Ralph Lauren

Let's face it, art is just decoration after all. There is a new-ish trend to decorate with heirloom portraits. I say new-ish because portraits are always IN, it's just right now they are more IN. I mean this room in Ralph Lauren's house could have been decorated 20 years ago or last week.


But what if you don't have a family heirloom portrait? Well, have one painted!

Charlotte Moss

Decorators all across the country are decorating their own houses with antique portrait paintings. Don't they look gorgeous? Charlotte Moss is my favorite decorator.

Even old fashioned folk art portraits look amazing in a room.

Okay, yes this is the green room in the White House. And yeah, that is Abigail Adams and Thomas Jefferson...I think. But this Federal Style room looks totally timeless and, well, green.

You don't have to have traditional style to have a portrait painted. Love the modern abstract. Notice the traditional furniture to anchor the room. Seriously, the only thing modern in the room is the art and it makes the whole place look modern.

I love 17th Century Swedish Gustavian antiques.

You don't have to relegate portraits to the living room or the bedroom. I love it in a hallway. I have one in my hallway and every time I walk by it I love to see it.

Sometimes the portrait can dictate the style of the room. Sometimes you can get a portrait to fit your style. I wonder which came first, the portrait or the wallpaper?

A portrait can really personalize a room. Even if you don't know who it is.

A portrait can set the mood. What attitude! Such a manly man's room. No women allowed!



Darin Giese

You can never have too many portraits!


All these photos were from two decorating blogs I love, cotedetexas and tartanscot.

1 comment:

Lize said...

Hi love your blog and art! But I just wanted to say that the 'Ralph Lauren Room' in this article is actually not by Ralph Lauren at all! It is the drawing room in the Glen Feshie Lodge, Scotland, which was purchased by a Scandinavian businessman . It was designed by Denton and Gardner firm. Denton used to be creative director at Ralph Lauren (that is quite obvious, isn't it!) and this beautiful article appeared in the Feb/March article of 2002 Elle Decor.