Then I did this cool set up in my kitchen under the over head lights to get some down lighting on them. Realizing that I might not get them done in one day, and roses change quickly, I decided to take a photo to preserve the information. Well, that didn't turn out so hot. I readjusted to get better color and shot again...
Here is the second adjusted attempt. Yuck. I knew if I wanted to get a good color reference I was going to have to get out the tripod, meter the light and adjust the white balance, etc… Ugghh. That was just too much work so I decided to just paint from life, which means paint fast.
Well, I painted as fast as I could but life got in the way and I had to get new roses and repaint and so on and so forth. (I have 8 kids) But I got it done. Whew!
Here is a close up. You can just feel the softness. Okay I (again) was too lazy to get the tripod or haul it outside to shoot it.
Then, on the day needed it to be at a friend's house to drive it to Utah, I decided to paint and silver leaf a frame. Luckily I didn't have to MAKE the frame as that would have been a disaster. I had my friend Steve make it. He can make anything! After I worked all day priming, painting, glazing, sanding, sanding, gilding, sanding, etc. it was well into the night. Then, I decided I needed to re-gild it with more silver. At this point it is 10:00 pm. So back outside I go with more lacquer and more glaze and more silver.
But, I think it turned out great. Now, you are probably wondering how I wrenched my back. Well, after I finished the frame at midnight, I had to put the painting INTO the frame. You really should pre-drill the holes where the clips and the hangers go, but I didn't have a drill. So I hand screwed all the screws into the hardwood frame. That did it! My body said ENOUGH! and my back went all wonky and spazzy and all. I could barely take pictures and place it in the box.
So, now I know why custom handmade frames are so expensive.