Monday, July 28, 2008

Goodbye Sunshine

This past Easter the Easter bunny brought us three little baby chicks. Two of them were Aracaunas (one of those was a rooster) and lucky us, one was a white frizzle bantam coachin.
Bantams are dwarf chickens. They never get very big and frizzle means they have soft curly feathers. We named them Coco, Chanel, and Sunshine, because she was yellow. We loved them and played with them every day since we got them. They are our pets.
Well, the most horrible thing happened last week. I was in my room and I heard a "WOOF". I thought, "Oh no, Sunshine is out of her pen". I came running to the back patio only to see a huge dog chasing our poor little frizzle coachin around the chicken pen. I opened the back door and called to her to run in the house. She's done it before.
She ran right in, but so did the huge dog. I tried to stop him but he was too strong and ran past me. He chased her around the family room while my two girls screamed at the top of their lungs, but he grabbed her in his mouth and I thought he had swallowed her. My husband grabbed a shovel and hit the dog on the back of the neck and he let go but it was too late. She lay there motionless, a soft fluffy pile of feathers and love. I feel like I failed her and my littlest monkeys who played with her everyday. We were all crying and had the most somber day ever. It's one thing to lose your pet but to see a huge dog just eat it right in front of you is just not right. I'm sorry girls. Goodbye Sunshine. We love you.

No comments: