Friday, October 10, 2008

Pasta e Fagioli

MMmmmm... Hot soup with breadsticks. Are you hungry? I have been begged to post this recipe about my favorite soup- Pasta e Fagioli. It is like the one you get at Olive Garden only you can make it at home for you whole family and their friends. When I make this my monkeys will call their friends over and it is gone in about an hour. This is a good way to get your kids (or yourself) to eat their vegetables. (I really think they just like the breadsticks)
Let's get started. You will need a large pot, and all the stuff you see here. I don't feel like typing it all... just look, okay?

Sorry, I guess you need the list of ingredients.

1/2 to 3/4 pound hamburger
2 cups chopped celery with leafy tops
1 cup onions
3 cloves chopped garlic
3 cups chopped carrots
Place in a pot and cook on high until the meat is browned. The veggies should be undercooked. Add:
6 cups boiling water
1 t. chicken bouillion
1 t. garlic salt
3 cups spaghetti sauce (I like Prego the best)
Wait until this boils and then add:
1/2 box of you favorite pasta = 1 3/4 cups or 2 cups ( I used mini penne- so cute)


Cook until pasta is just a little too firm and add:

1 can of drained and rinsed lima beans (or one cup frozen)

1 can of drained and rinsed kidney beans

1 can of drained and rinsed northern beans (or garbanzo or navy...just some white beans)

See how pretty the beans look next to each other?

Here is what it should look like. Mmmm smell that? Go ahead get closer, now doesn't that smell great? I like to put it in a bowl with some parmesan cheese on top. And of course, you have to add some kind of bread to dip in it. I used homemade breadsticks. I think that is the best part.

Now go forth and multiply. And then go jogging to burn off all the calories you consumed from eating the extra breadsticks.






No comments: